CHENG Tai Chiu
- Sc.D., University of Cambridge, U.K.
- 1983-1984 : Research Assistant (post-doctoral) at Loughborough University of Technology
- 1984-1985 : Lecturer in Industrial and Systems Engineering at National University of Singapore, Singapore
- 1985-1986 : Lecturer in Business Administration (M.B.A. Division) at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- 1986-1992 : Associate Professor of Operations Management (1986-1989) Professor of Operations Management (tenured, 1989) at University of Manitoba, Canada
- 1992-present : Chair Professor of Management (1992-present) Head, Department of Management (1992-1993) Dean, Faculty of Business and Information Systems (1993-1995) Vice-President (Research and Postgraduate Studies) (1995-2000) Dean, Faculty of Business (2011-present) Fung Yiu King – Wing Hang Bank Professor in Business Administration (2015-2020) at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- 1989 Rh Award (award for outstanding contributions to scholarship and research, conferred by the University of Manitoba, sponsored by the Winnipeg Rh Institute)
- 1992 Outstanding Young Engineer of the Year Award, conferred by the Institute of Industrial Engineers, U.S.A.
- 1992 Elected into a Visiting Fellowship at Clare Hall, University of Cambridge
- 2001 Croucher Award (Croucher Senior Research Fellowship), conferred by the Croucher Foundation (the top research award in Hong Kong)
- 2005 Nominated for Membership of the Chinese Academy of Engineering - Engineering Management Division
- 2005-07 Nominated for Fellowship of the Royal Society of Canada
- 2006 A paper voted one of 30 Influential Articles Published in EJOR (since its inception) Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of EURO: European Journal of Operational Research, 38, 156-166 (1989)
- 2007 Conferred the degree of Doctor of Science (Sc.D.) by the University of Cambridge, a higher doctorate awarded by the university acknowledging the holder having attained “distinction by some original contribution to the advancement of science”
- 2007 Elected into a Visiting Fellowship at Fitzwilliam College, University of Cambridge
- 2008 Rated as the most productive and the top h-indexed Operations Research/Management Science researcher in Asia, the Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 25, 217241 (2008)
- 2008-11 Appointed Siyuan Chair Professor, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China (sponsored by the Siyuan Foundation)
- 2009 Rated as the most productive and ranked 12th h-indexed Production/Operations Management researcher in the world over the half-century 1959-2008, the International Journal of Production Economics, 120, 540-551 (2009)
- 2009-10 Appointed Distinguished Professor, Yuan Ze University, Chung-Li, Taiwan
- 2009-12 Appointed Chang Jiang Scholars Chair Professor at Beijing University of Post and Telecommunications, Beijing, China (a national award for research excellence in China), sponsored by the Chang Jiang Foundation and conferred by the Ministry of Education, China
- 2010-16 Appointed Honorary Chair Professor, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- 2010 Bronze Medal for the project “Intelligent context-aware decision support system for monitoring of container terminal operations” (Ngai, E.W.T., Li, C.L., Cheng, T.E.C., Lun, Y.H.V., Lai, K.H. and Choi, Y.S.), conferred by the 38th International Exhibition of Inventions, Geneva
- 2013 Faculty Prize for Outstanding Performance/Achievement (2012/2013): Team Service, conferred by the Faculty of Business, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2014 Faculty Award for Outstanding Performance/Achievement (2013/2014): Team Service, conferred by the Faculty of Business, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2014 Education Leadership Award, conferred by World Education Congress of CMO Asia
- 2015-20 Appointed Fung Yiu King – Wing Hang Bank Professor in Business Administration (an endowed professorship in recognition of research achievement), The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2015 Rated as the most prolific author in Operations Management research in the world over the period 1985-2010, the International Journal of Production Research, 53, 6161-6197 (2015)
- 2016 Elected Academician of The International Academy for Systems and Cybernetic Sciences (in recognition of the holder’s outstanding contributions to research and practice in systems and cybernetic sciences)
- 2017 A paper selected one of 40 Influential Articles Published in EJOR (since its inception) Celebrating 40 Years of EJOR: European Journal of Operational Research, 187, 9851032 (2008)
- 2017 Rated as the most prominent author in Operations Management research in Asia (in terms of Bonacich power centrality) over the period 2001-2015, the International Journal of Production Economics, 184, 80-94 (2017)
- Operations Research
- No course
- 1.Lee, C.Y., Cheng, T.C.E. and Lin, B.M.T., Minimizing the makespan in the 3-machine assemblytype flowshop scheduling problem, Management Science, 39, 616-625 (1993).
- 2. Cheng, T.C.E. and Chen, Z.L., Parallel-machine scheduling with batch setup times, Operations Research, 42, 1171-1174 (1994).
- 3. Li, C.L. and Cheng, T.C.E., An economic production quantity model with learning and forgetting considerations, Production and Operations Management, 3, 118-132 (1994).
- 4.Cheng, T.C.E., Kovalyov, M.Y. and Lin, B.M.T., Single machine scheduling to minimize batch delivery and job earliness penalties, SIAM Journal on Optimization, 7, 547-559 (1997).
- 5.Cheng, T.C.E., Janiak, A. and Kovalyov, M.Y., Bicriterion single machine scheduling with resource dependent processing times, SIAM Journal on Optimization, 8, 617-630 (1998).
- 6.Cheng, T.C.E., Gupta, J.N.D. and Wang, G.Q., A review of flowshop scheduling with setup times, Production and Operations Management, 9, 262-282 (2000).
- 7.Cheng, T.C.E., Sriskandarajah, C. and Wang, G.Q., Two- and three-stage flowshop scheduling with no-wait in process, Production and Operations Management, 9, 367-368 (2000).
- 8.Cheng, T.C.E. and Wu, Y.N., A multi-product, multi-criterion supply-demand network equilibrium model, Operations Research, 54, 544-554 (2006).
- 9.Yeung, A.C.L., Cheng, T.C.E. and Lai, K.H., An operational and institutional perspective on total quality management, Production and Operations Management, 15, 156-170 (2006).
- 10.Ngai, E.W.T., Cheng, T.C.E., Lai, K.H., Chai, P.Y.F., Choi, Y.S. and Sin, R.K.Y., Development of an RFID-based traceability system: Experiences and lessons learned from an aircraft engineering company, Production and Operations Management, 16, 554-568 (2007).
- 11.Koufteros, X.A., Lai, K.H. and Cheng, T.C.E., “Black-box” and “gray-box” supplier integration in product development: Antecedents, consequences and the moderating role of firm size, Journal of Operations Management, 25, 847-870 (2007).
- 12.Yee, R.W.Y., Yeung, A.C.L. and Cheng, T.C.E., The impact of employee satisfaction on quality and profitability in high-contact service industries, Journal of Operations Management, 26, 651-668 (2008).
- 13.Au, N., Ngai, E.W.T. and Cheng, T.C.E., Extending the understanding of end user information systems satisfaction formation: An equity needs fulfillment model approach, MIS Quarterly, 32, 43-66 (2008).
- 14.Lai, K.H., Cheng, T.C.E. and A.K.Y. Tang, Green retailing: Factors for success, California Management Review, 52, 6-31 (2010).
- 15.Yeung, A.C.L., Lo, C.K.Y. and Cheng, T.C.E., Behind the iron cage: An institutional perspective on ISO 9000 adoption and CEO compensation, Organization Science, 22, 1600-1612 (2011).
- 16.Wong, C.W.Y., Lai, K.H. and Cheng, T.C.E., Value of information integration to supply chain management: Roles of internal and external contingencies, Journal of Management Information Systems, 28, 161-199 (2011).
- 17.Lo, C.K.Y., Wiengarten, F., Humphreys, P., Yeung, A.C.L. and Cheng, T.C.E., The impact of contextual factors on the efficacy of ISO 9000 adoption, Journal of Operations Management, 31, 229-235 (2013).
- 18.Liu, X.J., Yeung, A.C.L., Lo, C.K.Y. and Cheng, T.C.E., The moderating effects of knowledge characteristics of firms on the financial value of innovative technology products, Journal of Operations Management, 32, 79-87 (2014).
- 19.Pang, Z., Shen, H.C. and Cheng, T.C.E., Inventory rationing in a make-to-stock system with batch production and lost sales, Production and Operations Management, 23, 1243-1257 (2014).
- 20.Choi, T.M., Cheng, T.C.E. and Zhao, X.D., Multi-methodological research in operations management, Production and Operations Management, 25, 379-389 (2016).
- 21.Lam, H.K.S., Yeung, A.C.L. and Cheng, T.C.E., The impact of firms’ social media initiatives on operational efficiency and innovativeness, Journal of Operations Management, 47-48, 28-43 (2016).
- 22.Dong, C.W., Ng, C.T. and Cheng, T.C.E., Electricity time-of-use tariff with stochastic demand, Production and Operations Management, 26, 64-79 (2017).
- 23.Tong, X., Lai, K.H., Zhu, Q.H., Zhao, S.L., Chen, J.H. and Cheng, T.C.E., Multinational enterprise buyers’ choices in extending corporate social responsibility practices to suppliers in emerging countries: A multi-method study, Journal of Operations Management, 63, 25-43 (2018).
- 24.Luo, Z.X., Qin. H., Cheng, T.C.E., Wu, Q.H. and Lim, A., A branch-and-price-and-cut algorithm for the cable routing problem in solar power plants, INFORMS Journal on Computing (accepted).